One of the fun parts of owning a lake house at Apple Valley Lake or any Ohio Lake for that matter is opening it up for the season. Unless you plan ahead, you might forget some tasks. Here are a few tips to get the first weekend at the lake off to a good start.
To make sure you don't forget anything, write down a checklist of everything you have to do before you leave home and what must be done when you arrive at the lake. It takes a little extra time, but a checklist is the easiest way to make sure you get everything done.
1. Contact the utility company and phone company to turn on your services. We have contact numbers right here for you
2. Get all your cleaning supplies, clothing, food, and all your family's needs together.
3. Make sure the insurance policies for your cottage, boat, trailer, and other documents you need are ready to go.
When You Arrive
1. Take inventory of your property. Check the property outside for any damage that may have occurred during the winter.
2. Check the phone and power lines.
3. Check the roof and chimney for damage.
4. Inspect the windows and screens.
5. Check the structure under the cottage including beams and posts.
6. Check the deck and see if it needs a fresh coat of paint or stain.
Indoor Inspection of the Cottage
It's important to check the ceilings for any water leaks and do the necessary repairs as soon as possible. You should inspect all windows for leaks and functionality, check cupboards and drawers for signs of mice and clean them thoroughly. Put out fresh sheets and blankets, fluff up the towels and you're ready to enjoy Apple Valley Lake for the next season.
A good once over cleaning
Open up all of the windows and air out the cottage! Its been several months so dust is going to build up. Sherrie's favorite sent at our lake house is lemon. She has tried them all and has found that Pine Sol Lemon is the best! Wipe down cabinets, floors and counter tops. A quick once over will make things sparkle and smell fresh again.
Needing a service provider to help with projects? Here is our community list of KNOXPROS
What are some of your tasks that you do to get the lake house ready?